Here is a list of on-going global projects that are being achieved in communities throughout the world.
February 3-5, 2014: United Nations General Assembly Open Working Group (OWG) on Sustainable Development Goals – Session 8 – Oceans and Seas meeting in New York City, NY.
March 4-6, 2014: Attended the North Atlantic Seafood Forum in Bergen, Norway to promote sustainable aquaculture methodology.
April 12-13, 2014: Sonnenschein, L.A.: Presentation of poster, “Changing the basis of healthcare by improving active ingredient delivery and nutritional supplements through new understanding of cellular mechanisms.” Global Health & Innovation Conference at Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, USA.
April 22-25, 2014: Attended the Global Oceans Action Summit for Food Security and Blue Growth held at The Hague in the Netherlands. The Conservation for the Oceans Foundation made recommendations for sustainable ocean actions to protect food security and the world’s fisheries.
May 5-8, 2014: Trip to Marine Harvest’s aquaculture facilities in Scotland to do a field treatment for increasing salmon production.
May 30, 2014: Attended Oceanea meeting in Vancouver, Canada
December 1-12, 2014: Conducted United Nations Climate Change Conference Side Event: “Ocean and Coastal Adaptation to Climate Change: Measurement, Mitigation and Educating Stakeholders” as well as had an exhibition in Lima, Peru.
January 29, 2013: Lectured in Panama City, Panama on shrimp health and disease prevention
February 18, 2013: Lectured in Korea about shrimp disease and aquaculture production
June 6, 2013: Lecture in Veracruz, Mexico about aquaculture production improvement
June 2013: CFTO funded airfare for Pam Puntenney to attend the Climate Change Planning Meeting at Conference of the Parties (COP-19) and the 7th World Environmental Education Congress (WEEC) in Marrakesh, Morocco. See the report here.
July 2013: A&E Channel: “Shipping Wars: Old Man and the Sea Life”
August 20-21, 2013: Presented “Funding Mechanism for Local Climate Change Adaptation” at the 1st African Food Security Conference: Harnessing Ecosystem based Approaches for Food Security and Adaptation to Climate Change in Nairobi, Kenya.
September 2013: Co-author and advisor for “New Mechanisms to Understanding the Cell Wall Role in Modulating Intercellular Metabolism and Exploration of Mechanisms for Epithelium Nutritional Delivery” as a joint program with Andreas Nyman, Ph.D. candidate and research fellow with the World Aquarium and it’s Conservation for the Oceans Foundation with the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Animal Nutrition and Management, Uppsala, Sweden.
September 9-12, 2013: Attended the 4th BioMarine International Business Convention, Halifax, Canada.
October 2-4, 2013: Presentation and poster, “Ocean Engineering: Laboratory Research Findings for Enhancing Water Quality, Biodiversity and Species Proliferation for Coastal Waters” at UNEP-GPA’s Second Global Conference on Land-Ocean Connections in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
October 28-31, 2013: Presentation of “Biodiversity Hotspots of the Himalayan Region and Climate Change” at the International Conference on Climate Change and the Himalayas: Current Status and Future Perspective in New Delhi, India.
October 29, 2013: Presentation of “Understanding Cellular Mechanisms” at Santhigiri Ashram, Trivandrum, India.
November 11, 2013: Met with Belize Coastal Zone Management Institute’s (CZMAI’s) Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Vincent Gillett
- Sundaresan, J., S. Sreekesh, A.L. Ramanathan, Leonard Sonnenschein, and Ram Boojh, Editors. Climate change and Island and Coastal Vulnerability. New Delhi Scientific Publishers, 2013.
- Sundaresan, J., S. Sreekesh, A.L. Ramanathan, Leonard Sonnenschein, and Ram Boojh, Editors. Climate change impact on ecosystem. Jodhpur: Scientific Publishers, 2013.
- Sundaresan, J., S. Sreekesh, A.L. Ramanathan, Leonard Sonnenschein, and Ram Boojh, Editors. Climate change and environment. Jodhpur: Scientific Publishers, 2013.
- Sonnenschein, L.A.: Understanding Cellular Metabolism. Published by Amazon, 2013.
- Sonnenschein, L.A.: “Community Participation Mechanism: A Study of Youth Voices in Conservation’s GreenLeaf Marketplace.” Mechanism Design for Sustainability, Springer Books, 2013.
February 6-8, 2012: Presentation of “Sustainable Lifestyles for a Green Economy – The Future We Want” at the International Conference for Children and Youth, Asia Pacific UNEP TUNZA in Ahmedabad, India.
March 10-11, 2012: Attended International Boston Seafood Show for sustainable seafood to promote sustainable fisheries and GroFish technology.
March 19-20, 2012: United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development Education Working Group Informal RIO+20 Issues Brief on Innovation. Produced by the Rio+20 Issues Cluster on Innovation. Attendance at “Innovation for Sustainable Development”
March 11-14, 2012: The 27th International Conference on Solid Waste Technology and Management in Philadelphia, PA U.S.A.
- -Presentation of “Waste Rag Pickers: Local Management of Waste, Plastics for Income Generation and Recycling – a step towards better environment practices in cities of Delhi and Bhopal.”
- -Poster presentation of “The Role of Schools, Education in Low Carbon Lifestyles and Minimization of Wasteful Practices” by Leonard Sonnenschein and Prabhjot Sodhi [World Aquarium & Centre for Environment Education-India]
March 28, 2012: The Wednesday Club in St. Louis, MO. Presented “The World Aquarium” and discussed the conservation activities of the World Aquarium.
April 3, 2012: Attended Rockefeller Ocean Strategy in New York, NY for the launch of the “Rockefeller Ocean Strategy.” The strategy, managed by Rockefeller Financial, will pursue investments in innovative companies with strong financial prospects that positively impact the oceans’ ecosystems.
April 15-17, 2012: Communicating Climate Change and the Oceans Summit 2012 at National Aquarium, Baltimore, Maryland.
April 23-May 4, 2012: 2nd ‘informal-informal’ UN meeting on the zero draft in New York, NY. This meeting negotiated the draft outcome statement for Rio+20.
May 2012: Provided $1,000 airfare support for Pam Puntenney’s Rio+20 participation in the Bonn Climate Change Conference.
May 31, 2012 to June 2, 2012: Ecsite Annual Conference 2012 in Toulouse, France. Presentation of “Utilization of Technology to Save the Planet: motivating the public towards the science of climate change.”
June 7, 2012: World Wildlife Fund’s Kathryn Fuller Science for Nature Seminar Series: “Sustainability of world fisheries and their contribution to global food security” in Washington, DC
June 6-7, 2012: Meeting with Prabhjot Sodhi [Centre for Environment Education-India] in Washington, DC to discuss Youth Voices in Conservation’s GreenLeaf projects in India
September 6-8, 2012: Lectured on “Improvements of Active Ingredient Delivery” at the 4th International Conference on Medicinal Plants and Herbal Products held at the John Hopkins University Campus, Rockville, Maryland, USA.
September 26, 2012:Attendance at Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves Second Year Anniversary Celebration in New York. The meeting highlighted high efficiency cookstoves used in developing countries to aide in reducing pollution, reducing wood resource use, increased health of women and reduction of greenhouse gases emitted.
September 20-22, 2012: World Congress of Mariculture and Fisheries at Dalian World EXPO Center, China. Presentation of “History of Marine Protected Areas: Measurements, Mechanisms & Future Opportunities”
September 20-23, 2012: World Congress on Ocean in Dalian World EXPO Center, China. Presentation of “Stock Enhancement for Improved Health and Growth”
September 20-23, 2012: Sonnenschein, L.A.: Presented “Managing Environmental Disasters” and chaired the session, Petroleum Oil Spill Disasters and Remediation, BIT’s 1st Annual World Congress of Mariculture and Fisheries, in Dalian, China.
September 25, 2012: Lectured in Japan about aquaculture improvement
October 27, 2012: Skype meeting with representative of Seacology in Berkeley, California to discuss ocean issues.
December 3-5, 2012: Attendance at the International Conference on Climate Change and the Himalayas: Current Status and Future Perspective in New Delhi, India. Presentation of “Biodiversity Hotspots of the Himalayan Region and Climate Change”
December 12, 2012: Sonnenschein, L.A.: Presentation of “Oceans Sustainability and Climate Change” at the Natural Resources Sustainability, Summit Society of Actuaries. United States.
May 2011: “Engaging Youth Through Environmental Education” at the Education for Sustainable Development Conference in New Delhi, India.
May 2011: International Conference on Environmental Knowledge for Disaster Risk Management in New Delhi, India
May 2011: Presented the paper, “Engaging Youth: Public Awareness and Actions Towards Conservation and Sustainable Agriculture” at the International Workshop on ROOTS – Sustainable Agriculture: Traditional Indigenous Knowledge Systems and Food Security in Bihar, India.
July 17-31, 2011: Travel to India for Youth Voices in Conservation-GreenLeaf Program Field Studies.
August 12, 2011: National Geographic filming paddlefish at the World Aquarium for their National Geographic Channel series, Monster Fish: American Behemoth.
World Affairs Council
- August 21, 2011 World Affairs Council Worldwide Youth Leaders Conference in St. Louis, MO
- hosted delegations from the Ukraine and Russia at the World Aquarium
- Other delegations were hosted throughout 2011-2012, some of which represented Azerbaijan, China, Japan, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Germany, France, Poland, Brazil, Argentine, Uruguay, Yemen, Turkey and South Africa.
- Separate presentation of, “State of the Oceans: waves of change”
August 24, 2011: The Universe Series filming at the World Aquarium for the television series on The History Channel.
September 2011: Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (sponsored by the United Nations Foundation and Dow Corning Corporation) in New York City, USA.
September 2011: Submitted the paper, “Sustainable Tourism” to the International Tourism Sustainability Conference 2011 – Embracing Social and Environmental Change: The Influence and Role of Tourism, in Mauritius.
October 8-15, 2011: International Conclave on Climate Change 2011“Clean Energy & Energy Security” in Hyderabad, India. Presentation of “Youth Voices in Conservation’s GreenLeaf Program”
October 2011: Presentation of “Technology and its impact on Governance – case studies from Youth Voices in Conservation and GEF SGP” at RIMT Institute of Engineering & Technology [RIMT] in Mandi Gobindgarh, India.
November 14, 2011: Belize Field Research – coral reefs and pollution
November 14, 2011: Cozumel Field Research – coral reefs and pollution
November 28, 2011-December 9, 2011: CFTO funded airfare for Pam Puntenney to attend the United Nations Climate Change Conference, Durban. See the report here.
December 2011: United Nations Frameworks Convention on Climate Change – Conference of the Parties (COP 17)
December 15-16, 2011: Attended the Second Intersessional Meeting of the Prepcom, New York. This meeting prepared for the Rio+20 Conference and set the agenda in Rio de Janiero.
December 25, 2011: Visited Russ George in Vancouver, Canada regarding ocean fertilization research.
December 26, 2011: Met with John Nightingale, CEO of the Vancouver Aquarium to discuss public aquarium plans and organizational involvement.
December 28, 2011: Visited Al Pflueger, Jr. in Miami, Florida regarding artificial reefs and ocean restoration
February 2010: Published the book, Conservation of Fishes in Kerala, India.
February 2010: Attended the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Division for Sustainable Development, CSD Secretariat meeting, “Multistakeholder Dialogue on Implementing Sustainable Development”
February 2010: AquaShow India. Three Presentations entitled:
-“Development of Indian Ornamental and Marine Fish Trade to the World”;
-“Effects of Global Warming on Ornamental Fish Trade, Fisheries Productivity for Food Resources and Using Economic Crisis for Solving Conservation Issues”; and
-“Past, Present and Future Status of Ornamental and Marine Fish Trade in the United States”
February 2010: United Nations UNESCO-TERI Special event at DSDS 2010 presentation and paper entitled, “Effects of Global Warming on Aquatic Ecology and Fisheries: Indian Community-Based Research and Evaluation Models to Effect Solving Conservation, Biodiversity and Food Security Issues”
February 2010:“Valued-Added Fish Byproducts for Income Generation” at Fatima Mata National College, Kollam, Kerala
March 2010: Met with UNESCO Education Office in Paris, France to discuss creating a religious outreach efforts addressing climate change issues.
May 2010: Global Forum on Oceans, Coasts and Islands; organized a session at the Global Forum entitled, “Ensuring survival of Coasts and Inland areas from Global Warming and Anthropogenic Threats”
May 2010: 4th International Meeting of the World Ocean Network which gathered ministerial level participants from Canada, U.S., Australia, Micronesia, and India representing over 200 institutions.
August 2010: In Russia, convened a meeting at Astrakhan University entitled, “Survey on how the recommendation of Leadership seminar on Caspian Sea and its Deltas Region Sustainable development and regional security held in 27-30 May, Astrakhan, Russian Federation Has been implemented 27 – 28 August 2010.” A summative book regarding conservation of the Caspian Sea region is expected to be published in 2011.
September 2010: “Workshop on Sustainable Fisheries” in Chandigarh, India
September 2010: “Aquatic Conservation of Ganga River in Bihar” workshop in Patna; a book is to be published in 2011.
September 2010: Presented, “Climate Change and Spirituality: A Prophetic Appeal ”at the International Conference on “Global Warming, Climate Change, Sustainable Development & Secular Spirituality” at Santhigiri Ashram, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
October 2010: Climate Change Education Seminar in Maldives
October 2010: Presentation of “Marine Biodiversity: Climate Impact and Conservation Planning” at the International Conference on Climate Change and Environment in Kochi, India.
October 2010: Presentation of “Channeling: Public Awareness and Actions Towards Conservation” at the International Workshop on Climate Change and Island Vulnerability in Lakshadweep Islands, India.
September 2009: WHO-UNESCO Climate Change Workshop in Lucknow, India
December 2009: Sponsored the United Nations Frameworks Convention on Climate Change Education Caucus side event, “Catastrophe Now: Tipping Points and Transformations,” and presented, “The Findings of UNESCO-WHO Workshop on Climate Change, Health and Environment in India,” and “Global Warming and the Communities of Faith: A Prophetic Appeal” in Copenhagen, Denmark.
2006 to 2008
Save Our Oceans, Our Planet, Our Climate and Celebrate Life
- Global Warming–Threat to Land & Water: Community Actions Program
- God’s Spirit Over the Water: A Call to Action to the Communities of Faith, United Nations Environment Programme 2nd Intergovernmental Review of the Global Programme of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-Based Activities (GPA), 16-20 October, 2006, Beijing, People’s Republic of China.
Women, Youth and Oceans Awareness Program
- International Ocean Institute 32nd Pacem in Maribus Conference: Women, Youth and the Sea Malta November, 2007.
- Co-Chair, Biodiversity/Food Security Session, PIM-32 World Conference, 2007
2007 to 2008
Communication strategy for International Polar Year
- A Series of Concerts in St. Petersburg, Florida, to raise awareness about the Conservation for the Oceans Foundation
2007 to 2008
Conservation for the Oceans Foundation Grant Program
- Work Towards Identifying, Establishing and Optimizing Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in the United Kingdom. (Download PDF)
- Project to participate in sustainable aquaculture practices with particular reference to optimizing growth by improving feed and enhancing feeding efficiencies in salmonid fishes.
- Protection of Biodiversity in the Conditions of Development of Oil Industries in the Caspian Sea Region. (Download PDF)
- Argentina: Ocean Education and Conservation Program in the Mar Del Plata Municipal Aquarium. (Download PDF)
- Communication and Public Awareness Raising about Sustainable Seafood and other Food-Related Environmental Initiatives by the Vancouver Aquarium. (Download PDF)
- “Fishes Feed Us”. (Visit Site)
- Town Hall Meetings on Global Warming: A Wake-Up Call to America.
- Earth Circles: Building Community Action to Address Global Warming.
- Community-based Fisheries Management in Bay of Bengal, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Cultivation of seaweed and grow-out of bivalves for increasing coral reef conservation in Bali, Indonesia.
- Identification of Fish Aggregation and Spawning Site(s) for establishment of a Micronesian Marine Protected Area (MPA) and Educational Programming.
- Durable management of the resources of the ocean in Mauritania.
- Sustainable Mariculture and Safe Environmental Capacity on the Jordanian Coast of the Gulf of Aqaba, Red Sea.
- International Pacific Marine Educators Conference Sustainable Seafood Reception.
- Strengthening Communications: Linking Marine Science and the General Public in the Pacific Islands
2002 to Present
Sustainable Seafood Campaign
- Innovations in Aquaculture, Organic Aquaculture Workshop, 2003.
- Sustainable Seafood Campaign Animated Cartoon. 2005.
- Caring for the Blue Planet, World Ocean Network: Europe and Caspian Sea Regional Coordinated Meeting, Lisbon, Portugal, April 2005.
- World Ocean Network: Southeast Asia Regional Coordinated Meeting as part of the World Aquaculture Society Conference, Bali, Indonesia, May 2005.
- “Sustainable Seafood Campaign,” World Ocean Network: Asia Regional Coordinated Meeting as part of the 3rd International Fishers Forum, Yokohama, Japan, July 2005.
- “First Global Report of the Sustainable Seafood Campaign,” Global Forum on Oceans, Coasts and Islands, UNESCO Headquarters, Paris, France, January 2006.
- Europe and Caspian Sea Regional Coordinated Meeting, Boulogne sur Mer, France, January 2006.
- Consumer Awareness Towards Sustainable Oceans” Symposium, American Association for the Advancement of Science Annual Meeting 2006.
- World Ocean Network: A Voice for Public Understanding of the Seafood Industry” World Aquaculture Society Conference-Science for Sustainable Aquaculture, February 2007.
1996 to Present
Community Actions Developed on a Local Basis
- Amazon Biodiversity Conference, St. Louis, MO, 1999.
- Public Aquariums: Educational and Research Responsibility in the Future – 5th International Aquarium Congress, Monaco, 2000.
- Aquatic Conservation. American Zoo and Aquarium Association Conference, 2001.
- Upper Mississippi and Upper/Lower Missouri River Basin Cooperative in conjunction with the U.S. UNESCO HELP Program, 2003-2005.
- Amazon River Basin (Rio Jao and Rio Negro) UNESCO HELP Program, 2000-2005.
- Our Water, Our Rivers, St. Louis as a 21st Century River City,” 2001.
- Sustainable Actions Committee (formerly known as Concrete Conservation Field Actions Committee) for the UNESCO and UNEP sponsored – World Ocean Network, 2002-present.
- Quarterly e-publication of The Journal of the Water Planet, 2003-present.
- Creating Positive Environmental Impact through Public Understanding. Institute for Social, Economic and Ecological Sustainability (ISEES), 2003.
- 2003-2005 Environmental Coordination Trips – Middle Mississippi River, River Resource Action Team, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- The Amazon and Sustainability: Environmental Dream or Security Nightmare? Conference, St. Louis, MO, 2003.
- Aquatic Natural History of the Mississippi River Symposium and PowWow, St. Louis, MO, May 2004.
- Aquariums Reaching the Public With Conservation Campaigns,” 6th International Aquarium Congress Proceedings, California, 2004.
- World Aquarium and World Ocean Network-Concrete Field Actions Committee Commitments to Environmental Sustainable Development,” Education for Ocean Conservation Workshop, South Asia Regional Coordinated Meeting, Ahmedabad, India, January 2005.
- World Aquarium Scientists Speed Coral Growth, 2005.
- Effective Organic Amelioration of Nitrate and Other Chemicals of the Dead Zone,” Mississippi River Basin Nutrients Science Workshop, October 2005.
- Concert for the Oceans 2007- Celebrating Life, Oceans & Climate. United Nations Environment Programme 2nd Intergovernmental Review of the Global Programme of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-Based Activities (GPA), 16-20 October, 2006, Beijing, People’s Republic of China.
1989 to Present
Community Education Programs in Conservation Programming
- Understanding Biosphere 2. Public broadcast television show, 1991.
- The 2-Liter Planet Project: A World in a Bottle. Fox Broadcasting, 1994.
- Aquatic Environmental Education Programs and Facilities for Understanding the Flooding Processes of the River Systems of North and South America, 1994.
- Come Visit St. Louis Children’s Aquarium. Discovery Channel. 1997.
- Public Aquariums Working Internationally National Marine Educators Association, 1997.
- Experiential Approaches to Science and Math: Understanding the Environment, Pre-school –12th grade, a curriculum series (4 levels), 1998.
- Amazon River Biodiversity Educational Activities Book, 1999.
- Seminar Programme on Education in Aquariums, Ciutat de les Arts I Les Ciencies and University of Valencia, Spain, 2001.
- White House Office of Science & Technology for “Excellence in Science, Technology & Mathematics Week” 2003-present & “Global Science & Technology Week” (2000 – 2002).
- Environmental Preservation – Public Understanding: Applying models to solving real problems. OCEANS 2003, Centenary Conference for Scripps Institute of Oceanography, 2003.
- Generating and Maintaining Public Support for Oceans, Coasts, and Islands, Global Forum 2003.
- “Innovations in Aquaculture: Aquaculture Applications and Food Security,” National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Headquarters Library, Silver Spring, MD, 2004.
- Great White Sharks of Guadalupe Island: Movie for Shark Conservation, 2004.
- “Public Awareness as Part of the Law of the Sea,” United Nations Conference on the Law of the Sea, June 2005.
- Coral Reef Benefits to Humans, Biodiversity, and Conservation: Movie, 2006.
- “Communicating Conservation Actions” Director’s Mini-forum. 2nd International Oceanography Conference of The Beijing Aquarium, October 24-26, 2006, Beijing China.
- Institutions Creating Pathways Toward Understanding Sustainability” Zoos and Aquariums Committing to Conservation, January 2007.